The Austin ISD elementary schools provide a focused pre-K program where children have hands-on, purposeful opportunities for learning. Student-centered environments in our pre-K classrooms follow the developmentally appropriate practices outlined by the practices taught by the Children’s Learning Institute which is the Texas State Center for Early Childhood. Our Curriculum Road Maps adhere to the Texas Prekindergarten Curriculum Guidelines and provide an instructional program that is vertically aligned with the Kindergarten Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills.
Does My Child Qualify for the State-Mandated
Who is Eligible for the Tuition Supported
Children who are four years old on or before September 1st of the current school year and who do not qualify for either the Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities (PPCD) or the state-mandated prekindergarten program provided for qualifying students, as described above, are eligible to enroll in the tuition supported prekindergarten program.
What are the Benefits of the Tuition Supported
How Can I Start the Registration Process?
Parents can obtain prekindergarten tuition supported applications from any tuition supported prekindergarten campus. An additional application is required for parents who wish to apply for the dual language program as well as tuition-supported prekindergarten. The application can be obtained at any dual language campus that also offers tuition pre-K. Completed enrollment packets are to be turned in to the campus parents wish their child to attend.
Initially there will be finite number of slots available at each tuition campus and AISD will hold a lottery in February to determine student placement. Class sizes in AISD are approximately 19:1. After all tuition positions have been filled, an official waiting list will be developed. Tuition applications will be accepted after the February lottery. Students will be accepted or placed on a waiting list on a space availability basis.
What Campus Will My Child Belong To?
• A parent may choose to send their student to any tuition supported campus in AISD. However, they must provide their own transportation.
• Children with chronic attendance issues will be removed from the program to allow another student to fill the slot.
• After one year in pre-K, the student would go to the home school. If the parent wishes to keep the child on the tuition campus after the pre-K year, the parent must apply for a transfer and be subject to all provisions of the AISD transfer policy.
What are the Required Documents for Registration?
• Official birth certificate
• Photo identification of parent/guardian enrolling student. Approved forms include driver’s license, passport, DPS issued ID.
• Child’s social security number (optional).
• Current immunization record signed by physician.
• Proof of residency in AISD—current electric bill or copy of lease.
Need more information?
For more information, please contact the Department of Early Childhood. Jacquie Porter Director of Early Childhood Austin Independent School District Phone: (512) 414-9684 Fax: (512) 414-9879 www.austinisd.org
You can also call Barrington Elementary School for information particular to this campus at 512-414-2008.